Disaster Medicine Management
Why Disaster Medicine Management MicroMasters?
Disaster Medicine Management MicroMasters aims to establish an efficient scientific team able to prevent and reduce the negative effects of disasters on public health, ensure that the healthcare system effectively responds during disasters, restore health conditions to pre-disaster status, and protect or re-establish health services and institutions.
This MicroMasters is focused on exploring the medical effects and response to biological, chemical, and radiological threats with a special emphasis on pandemics and bioterrorism attacks. It will include an analysis of sudden capacity requirements and community mitigation strategies around the COVID-19 pandemic.
Who is this program for?
Every healthcare provider responding to a disaster should have a foundational knowledge of disaster medicine. This MicroMasters will help you explore the foundation for disaster medicine knowledge through interactive online lectures and case scenarios, which will be supplemented by in-person lectures as well as field exercises. It is designed for:
- Definition of disaster.
- Types of disasters.
- Disaster length.
- All-hazards approach.
- Levels of disaster response.
- The national response framework and institutional responsibility.
- Disaster mitigation and hazard analysis.
- Disaster Preparedness.
- Disaster Plan.
- Equipment and logistics.
- Personal protective equipment.
- Training methodology.
- Disaster response.
- Pre-hospital management.
- Field management.
- Field hospitals.
- Hospital management \Hospital Components of Disaster Response.
- Internal hospital disaster.
- Command / control /coordination and information management.
- Protection and safety.
- Communication during disaster\communication tool.
- Patient Management.
- Emergency management.
- General trauma assessment.
- Special trauma management.
- Toxicological management.
- Principles of anesthesia and analgesia during disasters.
- Management of dead bodies in disasters.
- Disaster recovery.
- Post-disaster Considerations.
- Chemical Incidents.
- Biological incidents.
- Covid pandemic.
- Nuclear incident.
- Radiation Incidents.
- Mechanical and Structural Disasters.
- Tunnel Incidents.
- Mass food poisoning.
- Mass shootings.
- Aviation disasters.
- Ship disasters.
- Post-traumatic stress disorders.
- Psychological debriefing.
- Resource management.
- Change management.
- Stress management.
- Medical Project Management.
- Crisis Management.
- Definition, causes, and consequences of the Complex humanitarian emergency.
- International disaster response organizations.
- Principles, roles, and mandates of the main international players during the CHE, in particular UN-OCHA, WHO, and ICRC.
- International Legislation and International.
- Humanitarian Law.
- Volunteer management.
- Vulnerable populations.
- Effect of disasters on children and women.
- Regional mass care.
- Documentation in disaster.
- Medical ethics in disasters.
- Politics and disasters.
- Seasonal risks.
- Legal aspects of disaster medicine.
- The applying of technology in disaster.
- How to use the Media and manage it during disasters.
- How to lead and direct the public opinion during disaster.
Key Programme Takeaways
Your Learning Journey
The first week is orientation week. During this week you will be introduced to the other participants in the class from across the world and you will learn about the track details, materials, assignments, and final project.
On other weeks, you have learning goals set for the week. The goals would include the online interactive lectures and completing the assignments. All assignments need to be submitted within one week.
The programme features weekly live online sessions with industry practitioners who are available to help you clarify your doubts pertaining to the content. Assignments are graded by the program faculty.
Discussion boards are an integral part of each module and provide a forum where participants can interact, share ideas, and ask questions.
Live webinars with Everest Business School provide opportunity for additional instruction as well as Q&A sessions for the group.
The Programme Support team will follow up over emails and phone calls with learners who are unable to submit their assignments on time or have any other concerns during the learning journey till sending the MicroMasters’ final grade.